3

Texas


America is a pretty big place, and every corner of this big place has staked out its identity. Sometimes, being from Texas on the East Coast feels like a burden. There is a hint of the self-righteous in New England liberalism: at the same time it condemns death penalties, it also, by implication, condemns the people of a state that makes use of the death penalty seemingly without care. A classmate once told me that Texas is an awful place, and he doesn't need to visit it to know this certainty.

A whole place (and all its people) written off because of ideology that isn't even shared by all? Laaaaaaame. It disappoints me that my peer would say such a thing; it seems so contrary to the spirit of inquiry that brought us here in the first place.

The longer I am away from home, the more I miss it. Texas is a contrast to New England in many ways. The weather is certainly less moody; the people are incredibly friendly and warm. Doors are consistently held open for me; men address me as "ma'am" (which makes me giggle a little), and women call me "hun." Here, I sometimes get doors that shut in my face, and pedestrians passing each other avoid making eye contact.

I realize that I am making sweeping generalizations, but I would like to say that there is much about my home that is valuable. To this end, I am appending a post I wrote for the 60th JASC AEC blog earlier in the year:

+ + + +


I feel that Texas has an undeservedly bad rap. I'm not saying that Texas is a money-bush or something equally awesome. It's just that people think it's really, really awful. To wit: I was at my professor's, feeling full of nerves and trying to impress Her Highness. Her guests ask me where I'm from, and when I reply "Texas", they start laughing! When I failed to join in their laughter ("Yeah, you're right, it IS funny that I'm from the ass-end of America!"), they reluctantly stopped.

I'm very fond of Texas, though. I like the overabundance of Ford F-150s on the road. I like the generous cordiality that is so very much a part of the place. And I like that the "In Texas, we like it BIG" joke refers to everything from steaks to anatomical parts. The list goes on. More specifically, however, the Texas landscape can be breathtaking.

Over winter break, we packed ourselves up into an SUV and went down to Big Bend National Park, perched on Texas' southwestern border with Mexico. And this is what we saw:


I felt oddly inspired. It's difficult to feel unhappy or deeply burdened in a place that exited long before me and will continue to be here, unchanged, long after. Encounters with nature on a grand scale always leave me with a diminished sense of self-importance.


On this glorious camping trip, I also:

1) slept in a tent in below-freezing weather. My god I haven't gone to sleep whimpering and full of tears since I was sixteen, when my life was powered by teenage angst.

2) called 911 because we were followed by an aggressive man, who kept up an utterly unnecessary commentary on his ability to "kick ass" as he tailed us in his truck. A breathtakingly frightful span of time later, we lost him. I was gratified to note that he had a California license plate. Not Texan, then.

3) drove for hours and hours on a road that doesn't end. Kerouac, you crazy drug fiend, I get you.


3 comments:

Colin Moreshead said...

Texas gets a bad rap unfairly -- it's true. But it's also true that people are different everywhere. I love looking on the street and seeing nothing but BMWs and Mercedes. That makes me a money-grubbing jackass to most, but it's my hometown.

Seems like you don't want to live in New England any more than I want to live down south...but they are generalizations after all; I know there are German cars in Plano, and I would bet there's at least one F-150 on my street in Connecticut. ;)

I think some of the more naive folks out there blame conservative states for international hatred pointed at the US. Part of that is true...I can only hope they don't hate my "righteous liberalism" as much.

Anonymous said...

Haha, was I a bit too harsh? :P

Plano is an upper middle class suburb, so German cars are the norm, and Ford trucks the exception :) But what I am deeply uncomfortable with is the way that one ostensibly open minded college student here indiscriminately denounced a whole place. To be an intellectually curious person, I think we must be able to step outside our own framework and at least consider how other people come to their beliefs.

I am speaking to those who generalize in generalizations, which is questionably productive but makes me feel better :)

Felicity said...

I would like to see Texas one day. Both because it looks beautiful and because you have caused me to stupidly believe that if I see Texas, I will somehow come to understand more of the ineffable Nancy.