0

Thanksgiving and Other Thoughts

Rachel has been prodding me to post on our blog for roughly a month now. And I have always steadfastly ignored her, in part because I have been busy, but also because that is the underlying dynamics of our relationship. However, I am no longer busy, and it seems irresponsible to lapse into silence on this blog, which is structured around the dysfunctions of both Rachel and myself.





For my first make-up post, I'd like to return to Thanksgiving. This was the first year I had the chance to actually go home to spend the November holiday with my parents, so I was thrilled weeks ahead (to be honest, I was thrilled with any break from classwork). There was a lot of eating, which seems to be an obligatory component of every family gathering. My cousin, who is currently a PhD candidate in computer science at UTAustin, also came up for the weekend. The last time we spoke was the greater part of a decade ago, and the experience was tinged with much teenage awkwardness. But now, I find in him a wonderful conversationalist, a keen humorist, and a kindred (which is to say, very nerdy) spirit. And the fact that he is a relative -- well, that's like icing on the cake. To really evoke the spirit of Thanksgiving, I have included a painting by Norman Rockwell, the master of classic Americana.

Finally, a list of things for which I am thankful (brought to you by the letter "F"!):

  • A family that I know -- even if I know nothing else -- will always be there
  • Friendships that continue and friendships that begin
  • The financial freedom to indulge in my liberal arts education (though that sense of freedom is set to expire very soon)
  • Fortune, for having smiled on me for so long. Despite all my angst, at the end of the day, I know that I am in a privileged position, which is a product of extraordinary luck and my parents' love.

And I hope your holiday was full of warmth and love as well. Cheers!

0 comments: